Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Unceasing Worship"

So I was just passing time by perusing through facebook and checking up on some friends. One friend included Mrs. Misha Seger and I saw that she blogged!! So checked it out and it lead me to Mark Driscoll's blog and stumbled upon a very comforting passage.

He was talking about Spiritual Disciplines, in highlight, Worship. The last one on the sub list of worship was unceasing worship and it read this:

"Jesus’ life destroys any notion that worship is a sacred thing we do at a special time and special place. All of life is to be lived as ceaseless worship; cutting our grass and cleaning our dishes are as sacred and God-glorifying as raising our hands in church. Jesus Himself modeled this: He spent roughly 90 percent of His earthly life doing chores as a boy and working a carpentry job as a man. Paul sums up the life of unceasing worship best in 1 Corinthians 10:31, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”"

The part about 90% of Jesus' life was just doing chores and carpentry is incredible encouraging. The main gripe I have had about life lately is that I don't feel like I am making much of a difference and that my life does not mean much - which is a bit on the depressing side. However, Jesus for most of his life did very, seemingly, non-value added things in life. The ordinary day in day out stuff. The Lord has so graciously used me and allowed me to see it by bring people to him. I have made a difference in the kingdom world. Though I totally and duly note the fact that it is not the same impact the Jesus had but if Jesus can handle 90% of his life doing the ordinary how much more should I. I should take delight that I am where the Lord has me and worship unceasingly.

I pray that the Lord reminds me of that and helps ingrain that in me, because though this was a profound light bulb in my life I still feel this internal struggle.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Great thoughts. Um, about the jello. It's a talent I have I guess. The first time it didn't congeal, the second time it congealed too fast and had funky lumps in it (I used ice cubes to speed the process along). I have no idea! I'm off facebook this week (or trying to be anyway). Email me sometime so that I can have your new email on my computer!

Misha Seger said...

WOO WOO I totally feel famous because you mentioned my name in your blog..!! (you can beat the pride out of me later if you like)